KL for Android (in the works)

• founder

YES!! This is real and we’d like to on-board some testers who have Android devices and would like to try it out. Contact me for details.

Though the app currently will not provide more functionality than the current mobile friendly website it is a small stepping stone into the next phase of KL.

What does that even mean?

We’re looking forward to keep KL active and alive. Providing mobile apps will help broaden our reach and make it easier for people to get to KL from their mobile devices. It will also allow us to utilize the mobile devices built in functions (notifications, camera, gps, ect) to allow a richer more connected experience.

Chillen in front of your laptop/desktop is perfectly fine and isn’t going away so no worrie’s there.

When will there be an iOS app?

We’re very new to mobile app development. Android was the first pick because I have a bit of experience with Java so it was easy to pick up. iOS will be coming also but we don’t have an ETA at the moment. There’s still a lot of work to do to get everything developed, tested and polished before being placed on the App Store.

0_1486543623364_Screenshot_2017-02-08-00-46-04.png

0_1486545346595_Screenshot_2017-02-08-01-15-26.png

• I like it the way it is on my phone right now. So I’ll wait and see if other user’s rave about it.

• founder

@none_the_wiser you won’t notice too much of a difference at all. It will be essentially the same as it is now through your phones browser. The intent is for us to hook in push notifications so you’ll always know what’s the latest without even opening an app or browser.

• what there’s a nodebb mobile app?! shocked… :thumbsup:

• founder

@Neo it’s not nodebb specific actually. We tried to look around for solutions and figured we just needed the bare minimum right now to build an embedded browser app. We plan to open source the code so that anybody that already has a mobile friendly site can use it for free.

• Interesting… so you are engineering the app to interface with this existing nodebb forum/login/threads/posts?

• founder

@Neo yes, that’s the plan. I’ve checked with their engineers and they don’t really have an interest in building an android/iOS version. Their mobile web app is already excellent so really just adding an additional layer to run it in a mobile app for phones. I’ll be contributing as part of the nodebb community as soon as I have a good starting build ready for android.

• @Chanrith Awesome… if i were the developer i’d probably charge like $5 dollars for the resulting android/iOS app after the beta test is run by a few of us!

cuz i notice most niche/convenience apps cost at least $2-$3 dollars

• Thanks for your hard work @Chanrith. The desktop browser version on a 5.5 inch screen being Android or iPhone is very succulent. To push notifications pushes people to the edge of being KL addicts. Nothing wrong with that too.

• founder

@Neo I don’t want to be the sole contributor to this so hopefully other devs will chime in and contribute and make it grow. I literally spent 8hrs yesterday with research and development and produced a pretty usable app. I see the potential. You’re right about the niche/convenience. There is a company that has already built something like this but their licensing is out of reach for the masses.

• founder

@studious_life said in KL for Android (in the works):

Thanks for your hard work @Chanrith. The desktop browser version on a 5.5 inch screen being Android or iPhone is very succulent. To push notifications pushes people to the edge of being KL addicts. Nothing wrong with that too.

Haha. It will be like KL crack lol.

• My inly thing i guess is. I hate having to go alll the wat down on a thread to reply especially if its like over 100 posts. Getting to the bottom kinda sucks.

• That’s awesome!

• @Chanrith what was the app for the app. Got a new phone so wanted to reinstall

Looks like your connection to KhmerLife was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.